Wednesday, June 5, 2013

GALLIMAUFRY

      A couple of weeks ago, on Trinity Sunday, I attended Mass At St. Vincent de Paul Parish.  Now, the world knows that, St. Patrick gave the definitive explanation of the Holy Trinity - Three persons in one God - when he picked up a clover (okay, a shamrock) and noted 'three leaves on one stem'.
      Father Henderson, the homilist at that Sunday's Mass gave one of the most beautiful explanations I had ever heard.  This quote is attributed to Meister Eckhart, a German philosopher, mystic and theologian from the twelfth century.

                            "Do you want to know what goes on in the core of the Trinity?   I will tell you.
                            In the core of the Trinity the Father laughs and gives birth to the Son.  The Son
                            laughs back at the Father and gives birth to the Spirit.  The whole Trinity laughs
                            and gives birth to us."

       I love this.  I love the thought of God laughing.   Of course, I've always believed God had a sense of humor, after all, he created we humans.

                                                                      * * * * *

      I've been having quite a bit of back pain lately.  Lower back, left side and upper back, right side.  The Chiropractor suggested I see a masseuse.  I traveled up to Dunlap yesterday.  He suggested some of the pain, particularly the lower back might be caused partly by bad posture.  It brought to mind a favorite quote of my mother's.  She continuously admonished her daughters:  "Shoulders back, chin down, stomach in and knockers out."   Always listen to your mother, it might eliminate back pain in your mid seventies.

                                                                      * * * * *

     I noticed the other day, that there was a new pizza place attached to the Family Video store a couple of blocks up on Sheridan and Glen.  I stopped in yesterday,  Very good pizza.  I got a small 'White Cheesy"  - Bacon, tomato and Feta cheese.  I think I can get three meals out of it.  I haven't had good pizza since I stopped making it myself.  The company's name, by the way,  is Marco's Pizza.  Try it!

                                                                    * * * * *

     I have explained previously the Gallimaufry is an Elizabethan word that means hodge-podge, a mixture.  This post has certainly been one,  from quotes by Meister Eckhart to pizza recommendation.  But that's the way the mind of a septuagenarian rolls!  
     I end with one more Eckhart quote:   "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."





  I
,

No comments:

Post a Comment