Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Nostalgia Tour

      Whenever our friend, Russ Epperly, would come back to Peoria from San Diego, sometime during his stay here, he would take what his wife, Mary Lou, would call his 'Nostalgia Tour'.  He would visit all his old stomping grounds throughout the city - but mostly in the Southside and reminisce or bemoan the fact that things had changed.   Mary would roll her eyes and comment that he HAD to do it every time he came back and often he wanted her along too.   I think she seretly enjoyed 'looking back' with him because her being with him was so important to him.
       Today, I went to lunch with some friends.  One of  whom has been having some health issues and I told her I would pick her up and drive her home.   She lives on Airport Road and it had been years since I had been out that way.   What started as a lift for a friend ended up being one of Russ Epperly' Nostalgia Tours', Norma Style.
       After lunch, instead of traveling back the shortest route via I474, I asked Rita if it was still possible to get through Bartonville from East Peoria.  She said absolutely and we headed West.  I took an alternate route (I never admit to getting lost, only that I want to get the 'flavor' of the area).  I got the 'flavor' of North Pekin.    After a slight detour, we were over the Shade Lohman Bridge, down the off ramp and a right turn and we were in Bartonville.   The old  Bartonville Bank Building is still in the middle of the cross street. (It is recycled as a cake supply shop and has been for years.) -   I don't know how long it has been since I have traveled this road but probably more than twenty years.  We took the fork to the right, Smithville Road,  and started up the hill.   The landscape is still a little bare from winter but some new undergrowth peeking through.  I think there are a few more houses now, not so much on the road itself but bulldozed and cleared out into the hillside.  Not really fancy homes, but newer ones.
      At the top of the hill, I could see the new runways for the Airport, and a plane was approaching low towards one of them on my left side.   I took Rita home, and instead of getting back on I474 I headed down to Harmon Highway, crossed the Kickapoo Creek  Bridge, under which Vern and I used to park and 'spark'.  Up past the Kroger Store where we shopped when our children were very young.
       I didn't drive in those years we lived out by the Airport.  Vern would take me and one, two, three or four daughters to Krogers.(depending where we were in the baby chain) (The younger two were born after we moved back to the Southside).  I would go in with all of them and my list.   He mostly worked third shift at that time and weather permitting would stay in the car and sleep.   He never liked grocery shopping.
     I would put the current baby in the child seat in front, Leah in the shopping cart and Alissa and Lora hanging on each side.   If I had a lot of groceries, Vern would come in and he would push a cart as well.   We had milk home delivered, had a large garden and I canned and froze vegetables.  Vern's parents, every other year or so would give us a quarter of a beef,  so we shopped for essentials every two weeks.   Lora would get bored hanging on the side of the basket and take off and Alisa would decide to do the same thing, so it was look at the list, round up kids, look at the list,  round up.... etc.   I have never liked grocery shopping either!
      I took the left turn to Seventh Street, past The Elks Club - we went to a lot of parties there - and left on Sterling past Madison Golf Course.  The first stop sign past the golf course, I noticed some stone pillars.   I went right and it was Fairway Drive.   I  babysat for a family up there in my teens.  One night, the boy about eight got mad at me, he didn't think he should have to go to bed.   A few minutes later, he came out with his dad's shot gun, he was going to shoot me.  I called my Dad who stayed with me until the parents came home.  I can't remember the family's name but I never babysat there again.    I had forgotten the incident until I saw the stone pillars today.
      Back to Sterling, and right on Rohmann and a stop at Haddads Market.  This is the second time I've been there since the fire on New Years Day, 2010?.   A lovely store and the heart of West Peoria.  I needed laundry soap and cheese and I picked up a frozen Davis Brothers Pizza - Davis Brothers Pizza, more memories - from the Freezer Case.
       Rohmann to Main, left on University, right on War Memorial left on Sheridan, right on Crestwood and home and all the while memories, people and places running through my head.    I certainly enjoyed my Nostalgia Tour.   Thanks, Russ, it is a good way to remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment